Chicago Loop Alliance is seeking proposals for activations for our upcoming Sundays on State open street project.
About Sundays on State: Chicago’s most iconic street, State Street, will close to traffic from Lake to Madison on Sundays this summer and transform into an open street full of surprises. Come together with neighbors from every Chicago community and beyond for this free, interactive block party, while safely enjoying art, culture, active recreation, retail, bars, restaurants, and local attractions. Experience everyone’s neighborhood, the Loop, like never before! #SundaysOnState
Learn more: Find more details and inspirations for Sundays on State here.
Activation applicants: This application is open to any and all organizations that wish to create an on-street activation during Sundays on State. Below are some examples of possible activations - but this is only a start. Please feel free to be creative and propose ideas that are not on this list:
● Fitness studio - come teach a yoga class on State Street
● Library or bookstore - set up a space to do a book reading for children
● Arts organizations - set up a live painting demo or a pop-up gallery
● Community organizations - set up an outdoor living room in the middle of the street
● Retailers - create a fashion show of your latest merchandise in the median
● Coffee shops - roll up a cart and serve cold brew to passers-by
● Restaurants - businesses within the boundaries of Sundays on State (State Street from Lake to Madison) are invited to set up outdoor dining on the street. In addition, restaurants in buildings that have frontage on Sundays on State may participate, subject to permits and regulations.
Selection: Chicago Loop Alliance will review proposals with a committee to evaluate and select winning proposals. If selected, your organization will be given space at Sundays on State to set up your activation. You will not be charged for the space and there will be no fee to participate. Preference will be given to proposals that are self-funded. Chicago Loop Alliance will not be able to dedicate any staff to manage partner activations, so you must be able to set up, manage, and clean up your site on your own.
Chicago Loop Alliance is interested in giving space to organizations that represent Chicago’s diversity with regards to race, culture, age, ability, gender, sexuality, and more. We encourage organizations with specific cultural missions to participate and use the space to showcase their communities.
What we are not looking for: Chicago Loop Alliance is seeking creative proposals to showcase Chicago’s diversity and culture. We are not looking for activations to focus on advertisements or marketing opportunities. If you are interested in marketing your brand at Sundays on State, please reach out to Michael@ChicagoLoopAlliance.com to discuss sponsorship opportunities. Additionally, we are unable to set up pop-up stores or restaurants that are not already on State Street due to permitting limitations.
To apply: Fill out this form. Proposals are due by May 26.