Chicago Loop Alliance's internationally acclaimed, award-winning Sundays on State series returns on July 16 and August 13 this summer! Join us by creating your own unique offering on State Street during the events. Applications are now open for interested participants. More details below.
About Sundays on State: The internationally acclaimed, award-winning event series, Sundays on State, will once again transform Chicago's most iconic street, State Street, when it closes to vehicular traffic on July 16 and August 13 this summer. Neighbors from every Chicago community and beyond will unite for a free, interactive block party, while safely enjoying art, culture, active recreation, food, drinks, shopping, and local attractions in the heart of everyone’s neighborhood – the Loop. Chicago Loop Alliance's Sundays on State series accelerates the economic recovery, unites the community, and creates joy! 92 percent of 2022 activation participants came from underrepresented business owners. Find more information and register here. #SundaysOnState
Potential applicants: This application is free and open to individuals and organizations who wish to create an on-street activation during Sundays on State. Complimentary activation spaces at Sundays on State are intended for local small businesses, entrepreneurs, artists, and not-for profit organizations, and require completing the application and approval process in advance. All other interested vendors or promotional appearances must apply as a sponsor, which requires a donation to Chicago Loop Alliance Foundation (a 501-c3). If you are interested in that option, learn more details about sponsorship here.
Chicago Loop Alliance prioritizes proposals that activate the street in a unique, interactive, and/or artistic way. Please feel free to be creative and propose ideas that are not on this list:
● Active Recreation - Teach a fitness class or lead outdoor games for children and/or adults
● Transform the street - create a transformative or interactive space on State Street (perhaps a lounge area with chairs, art, grass, or whatever your imagination can design!)
● Street performer - stilt walking, juggling, magic, dance, acoustic music, etc.
● Library or bookstore - set up a comfy space to do a book reading for children
● Artists and/or arts organizations - set up a live painting demo or a pop-up gallery
● Community organizations or businesses - set up an outdoor living room in the middle of the street
● Retailers - create a fashion show of your latest merchandise
● Coffee shops - roll up a cart and serve cold brew to passers-by
● Restaurants - set up outdoor dining or concessions on the street, subject to permits and regulations. Food trucks welcome (must be approved in advance).
● Something totally different - bring a completely new idea that hasn't been seen before at Sundays on State or anywhere else :)
What we are (and are not) looking for: Chicago Loop Alliance is seeking creative proposals to showcase Chicago’s diversity and culture. We are not looking for activations that focus on advertisements or marketing opportunities. Those types of activations should consider sponsorship instead. View more details here.
Selection: Chicago Loop Alliance will review proposals to evaluate and select winning activations. Not all applications will be chosen to appear at the events. If selected, your organization will be given space at Sundays on State to set up your activation. You will not be charged for the space, and there will be no fee to participate unless permits are necessary (for food vendors for example). You must supply all your own materials and equipment, including tents and electricity. Chicago Loop Alliance encourages proposals that are self-funded. Chicago Loop Alliance will not be able to dedicate any staff to manage partner activations, so you must be able to set up, manage, and clean up your site on your own.
Chicago Loop Alliance is interested in giving space to organizations that represent Chicago’s diversity with regard to race, culture, age, ability, gender, sexuality, and more. We encourage organizations with specific cultural missions to participate and use the space to showcase their communities.
To apply: First, read ALL details listed above on this webpage and then, complete the appropriate application linked below before May 19, 2023. If you have any questions regarding your application, please reach out directly to: Placemaking@ChicagoLoopAlliance.com.
- Interactive activity, installations, and/or performer application
- Retail/vendor application
- Food vendor application
To sponsor: For additional brand awareness, consider sponsoring the event for larger maximum exposure opportunities. More details here.
You might be interested in
Sundays on StateThe internationally acclaimed, award-winning events return this summer for two days only!
Chicago Loop AllianceChicago Loop Alliance’s mission is to create, manage and promote positive and inclusive programs that attract people to the Loop and accelerate economic recovery.