Chicago Loop Alliance is seeking proposals for activations for our upcoming Sundays on State open street project.
About Sundays on State: Chicago’s most iconic street, State Street, will close to traffic from Lake to Madison on Sundays this summer and transform into an open street full of surprises. Come together with neighbors from every Chicago community and beyond for this free, interactive block party, while safely enjoying art, culture, active recreation, retail, bars, restaurants, and local attractions. Experience everyone’s neighborhood, the Loop, like never before! #SundaysOnState
Learn more: Find more details and inspirations for Sundays on State here.
Activation applicants: This application is open to any and all organizations that wish to create an on-street activation during Sundays on State.
Please note: We are no longer accepting applications that involve:
- The sale of items, products, or merchandise
- The sale or sampling of food and/or beverage (Those with existing street fair permits, i.e. food trucks, are still being accepted and are encouraged to apply)
- Performances on stage (performances as on-street activations are still being accepted and are encouraged to apply)
Below are some examples of possible activations - but this is only a start. Please feel free to be creative and propose ideas that are not on this list:
● Fitness studio - come teach a yoga class on State Street
● Library or bookstore - set up a space to do a book reading for children
● Arts organizations - set up a live painting demo or a pop-up gallery
● Community organizations - set up an outdoor living room in the middle of the street
● Retailers - create a fashion show of your latest merchandise in the median
● Coffee shops - roll up a cart and serve cold brew to passers-by
● Restaurants - set up outdoor dining or concessions on the street, subject to permits and regulations. Food trucks welcome (must be approved in advance).
Selection: Chicago Loop Alliance will review proposals with a committee to evaluate and select winning proposals. If selected, your organization will be given space at Sundays on State to set up your activation. You will not be charged for the space and there will be no fee to participate. Chicago Loop Alliance encourages proposals that are self-funded. Chicago Loop Alliance will not be able to dedicate any staff to manage partner activations, so you must be able to set up, manage, and clean up your site on your own.
Chicago Loop Alliance is interested in giving space to organizations that represent Chicago’s diversity with regard to race, culture, age, ability, gender, sexuality, and more. We encourage organizations with specific cultural missions to participate and use the space to showcase their communities.
What we are not looking for: Chicago Loop Alliance is seeking creative proposals to showcase Chicago’s diversity and culture. We are not looking for activations to focus on advertisements or marketing opportunities.
To apply: Fill out this form. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the summer, but we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.