The Chicago Loop is periodically affected by construction work, public events, filmmaking and other projects. Stay up to date on current traffic advisories and happenings.
Last updated on October 16, 2019
Protests and Public Gatherings
The Chicago Teachers Union is set to strike beginning on Thursday, October 17. Be prepared for as many as 25-35,000 demonstrators, street closures, and rush hour delays in the Loop beginning tomorrow, with the potential for impacts until the strike ends.
This alert gives notice to citizens riding the CTA train system, in the 001st (Central) District, of theft related incidents during the months of September and October. Pick pocket offenders, working in tandem on CTA trains and platforms, are taking wallets from riders' pockets and book bags. One offender creates a diversion, or blocks victim's movement, while a second offender takes victim's wallet. The offenders then proceed to ATMs and withdraw cash from the victim's credit/debit card accounts, before bankcard security can deactivate the cards. These incidents have occurred during the day and evening hours in the general geographical locations listed below:
Incident times and locations:
- 300 block of S. Dearborn St. on September 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM
- 0-100 block of N. Dearborn St. on September 23, 2019 at 3:37 PM
- 0-100 block of W. Jackson Blvd. on September 23, 2019 at 3:30 PM
- 200 block of S. State St. on September 24, 2019 at 5:00 PM
- 1100 block of S. State St. on September 28, 2019 at 10:30 PM
- 200 block of S. Wabash Ave. on September 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM
- 200 block of S. Wabash Ave. on October 01, 2019 at 8:00 PM
- 200 block of S. State St. on October 02, 2019 at 5:00 PM
- 0-100 block of N. Dearborn St. on October 02, 2019 at 7:30 PM
What you can do:
- Always be aware of your surroundings
- Report suspicious activity immediately
- If you are confronted by an assailant remain calm
- Remember any unique physical characteristics (scars, limp, acne, teeth, etc.)
- Never pursue a fleeing assailant, provide the information to the police
- If approached by a witness to the incident, request contact information
- Dial 9-1-1 immediately and remain on scene when possible
If you have any information Contact the Bureau of Detectives – Area Central (312) 747-8384.
Active Shooter Preparedness
While law enforcement is usually required to end an active shooter situation, individuals can take steps to prepare mentally and physically for the possibility of this type of event occurring in order to save lives.Learn More
You might be interested in:
Do BusinessThe Loop is the central business district in one of the largest cities in America. Find resources to help you grow your business.
JoinConnect with more than 250 members representing the Loop’s business, civic, and cultural institutions.