Posted 8 months ago
Press contact: Ariella Gibson | Marketing and Communications Manager, Chicago Loop Alliance | Ariella@ChicagoLoopAlliance.com | 708-543-4002
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | JULY 19, 2023
CHICAGO—Chicago Loop Alliance’s first Sundays on State event of the year attracted visitors and Chicagoans of all ages from all over the city and beyond to the heart of the Loop when more than 125,000 people entered the event footprint between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. on July 16. Over 350 activations filled State Street, featuring 88% underrepresented business owners. Based on preliminary qualitative and quantitative data, the program has once again accomplished its goals of accelerating the economic recovery; uniting the community; positively shaping the public perception of the Loop; and creating joy. View the final event lineup for August 13 here.
Now in its third year, the internationally acclaimed, award-winning event series closes the most iconic parts of State Street in the Loop to vehicle traffic two Sundays this summer. Free and open to the public, this year’s events fill an expanded footprint on State Street from Adams to Lake for one final Sunday – August 13. Those who register to attend Sundays on State are automatically entered for a chance to win a $1,000 Loop staycation package, including a stay at theWit Hotel Chicago. Learn more and register for free at LoopChicago.com/Sundays.
“The magic and joy of Sundays on State continues to exceed our wildest imagination and remains an impressive reminder of the power of community,” said Michael Edwards, President and CEO of Chicago Loop Alliance. “The event is quickly becoming an integral part of summer in Chicago, attracting locals and visitors alike to ‘that great street’ and inviting them to experience the Loop in one of the most unique opportunities ever imagined. Aside from uniting the community, Sundays on State continues to accelerate the economic recovery, aiding in more than 215,000 people who visited State Street in the Loop this past Sunday.”
Preliminary attendee and participant data and feedback:
- More than 125,000 attendees entered the event footprint along State Street
- 66% greater pedestrian traffic within event footprint along State Street compared to same Sunday in 2019
- 42% greater pedestrian traffic within event footprint along State Street compared to same Sunday in 2022
- 41% increase in pedestrian traffic compared to Sunday of previous week
- 70% of event attendees visited a Loop business or landmark before, after or during the July 16 event and reported spending an average of $124 each, generating millions in direct economic impact during the first event
- 82% of attendees said Sundays on State positively affected their overall feelings about the Loop
- 95% of attendees would recommend Sundays on State to a friend
- 99% of attendees felt safe in the Loop
- Activations showcased 88% underrepresented business owners, including 77% women-owned businesses, 67% minority-owned businesses, 12% LGBTQ+-owned businesses, 3% veteran-owned businesses, and 4% disability-owned businesses with overlaps in several categories
Sundays on State is a project of Chicago Loop Alliance in partnership with Chicago Loop Alliance Foundation and SSA#1-2015. The events are supported by a Chicago Presents grant from the City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events. Supporting sponsors are Allstate Insurance Company, Macy’s and Target. The Event sponsor is Block 37. Community sponsors are Catalog, Divvy, Millennium Garages, theWit, a Hilton Hotel, Walgreens, and Star Events.
Media partners include Chicago Reader, Chicago Tribune, Concorde New Media, Crawford Broadcasting (Power92, WSRB, WYCA-FM), iHeart (WVAZ, WGRB, WGCI), Reflejos, Vocalo 89.5FM, and WBEZ 91.5FM.
About Sundays on State
Sundays on State, honored with the Award of Excellence by the International Downtown Association and named “Best New Event of the Year” (Time Out Chicago, 2021), returns to Chicago’s most iconic street by popular demand. State Street closes to vehicular traffic with an expanded footprint from Lake to Adams and transforms into an open street full of surprises for two Sundays this summer. The free event series supports hundreds of local small businesses and artists; attracts hundreds of thousands from every Chicago neighborhood and beyond to accelerate economic recovery; and unites the community for an interactive block party in the heart of the city, while safely enjoying art, culture, active recreation, shopping, food, drinks and local attractions. Find more information and register for free at LoopChicago.com/Sundays. #SundaysOnState
About Chicago Loop Alliance
Chicago Loop Alliance (CLA)’s mission is to create, manage and promote positive and inclusive programs that attract people to the Loop and accelerate economic recovery. CLA is a membership organization as well as the sole service provider for Special Service Area#1-2015, and the Chicago Loop Alliance Foundation produces public art projects and events. For more information, visit LoopChicago.com.