Posted 10 months ago in Trending
3 MIN READ – The first ever street race in NASCAR history takes place this July in Chicago. The weekend long event includes a concert series, nightly NASCAR Cup Series races, and more. The 12-turn, 2.2-mile course utilizes some of the most iconic streets, landscapes, and scenery as an idyllic backdrop to the race events.
When and where will the NASCAR street races take place?
The NASCAR Chicago Street Race will take place July 1-2, on sections of streets that surround and are adjacent to Grant Park, specifically Columbus Drive, Jackson Blvd., Michigan Ave., Roosevelt Road, Balbo Drive, and DuSable Lake Shore Drive.
What can I do in the Loop during NASCAR weekend?
Whether you’re off to the races or just want to enjoy the Loop on a beautiful summer weekend, there’s always plenty to do downtown. Explore all the Loop has to offer here.
And for those looking to have a good time and save a buck – check our Loop Deals. Check out free stuff and other great discounts. Additionally, NASCAR is having a FREE Fan Fest on Tuesday, June 27 at Navy Pier for the iRacing event. Find more information about the Fan Fest here.
What streets will be closed for NASCAR?
The following traffic impacts, parking restrictions, and street closures will take place beginning Friday, June 2. Find full details and a road closure map here.
Pre-race activity will begin Friday, June 2, with parking restrictions along Columbus Dr. between Jackson Dr. and Balbo Dr. On Saturday, June 10, Ida B. Wells Dr. will close east of Michigan Ave. starting at 12:01 a.m. to allow for construction of the main viewing areas. Temporary road closures from Saturday, June 17 to Sunday, June 25, will allow for track wall installation, with the exception of Balbo Dr., which will close at 6 a.m. on Monday, June 19, from Michigan Ave. to DuSable Lake Shore Dr.
Pre-race activity in Grant Park
- Friday, June 2 – Beginning at 2 a.m. – Parking restrictions along southbound Columbus Dr. between Jackson Dr. and Balbo Dr.
- Monday, June 5 - Beginning at 2 a.m. – Parking restrictions along northbound Columbus Dr. Between Jackson Dr. and Balbo Dr.
- Saturday, June 10: Ida B. Wells Dr. will close east of Michigan Ave. starting at 12:01 a.m. to allow for construction of the main viewing areas.
- Sunday, June 18 to Sunday, June 25: Temporary road and curb lane closures to allow for track wall installation
- Monday, June 19 – Beginning at 6 a.m. – Balbo Dr. will close at 6 a.m. from Michigan Ave. to DuSable Lake Shore Dr.
Significant Street Closures
- Sunday, June 25 – Beginning at 1 a.m. - Closure of Jackson Dr. between Michigan Ave. and Columbus Dr. and closure of Columbus Dr. between Jackson Dr. and Roosevelt Rd.
- Monday, June 26 – Beginning at 6 a.m. - Closure of Congress Plaza Dr. and lane closures on eastbound Roosevelt Road between Columbus Dr. and DuSable Lake Shore Dr.
- Tuesday, June 27 – Beginning at 6 a.m. - Curb lane closure on southbound DuSable Lake Shore Dr. between Balbo Dr. and Roosevelt Rd. for track barrier installation.
- Wednesday, June 28 – Beginning at 8 p.m. - Full closure on southbound DuSable Lake Shore Dr. between Monroe Dr. and McFetridge Rd. for track barrier installation.
- Thursday, June 29 – Beginning at 8 p.m. - Closure of northbound Michigan Ave. between Balbo Dr. and Jackson Dr. and traffic lane closure of southbound Michigan Ave. between Balbo Dr. and Jackson Dr.
Thursday, June 29 – Beginning at 10 p.m. - Closure of Roosevelt Rd. between Columbus Dr. and DuSable Lake Shore Dr.
Friday, June 30 – Beginning at 5 p.m. - Closure of southbound Michigan Ave. between Balbo Dr. and Jackson Dr.
During race weekend
Saturday, July 1 - Beginning at 4 a.m. - Closure of northbound DuSable Lake Shore Dr. between McFetridge Dr. and Randolph St. as an added safety precaution. Northbound DuSable Lake Shore Dr. will begin reopening Sunday, July 2.
Streets will begin reopening as early as 7 a.m. on Monday, July 3, following the conclusion of the event. All street closures are expected to remain in effect as demobilization of the track wall, fence, and viewing structures takes place. The priority streets to reopen are DuSable Lake Shore Dr, Michigan Ave, and Columbus Dr. Other street closures will remain in effect as demobilization of the track wall, fence, and viewing structures takes place. Activity is expected to conclude by Saturday, July 15.
Where can i purchase tickets?
You can purchase tickets for the two-day festival and race at NASCAR Chicago. Nightly concerts with all-star performers from Miranda Lambert to The Chainsmokers; family fun entertainment; exclusive viewing courses and more abound set against the background of one of the most iconic cities in the world. Learn more and purchase tickets here.
You Might Be Interested In:
Chicago is making boss moves3 MIN READ – An article recently published by Inc. points out that Chicago has remained the nation's top city for corporate relocation and expansions for ten years...
Sundays on StateThe internationally acclaimed Sundays on State events return to State Street this summer!