Taxis offer a reliable and convenient way to get around the city, and are easy to hail at most locations in the Loop and at airports.
Riding in a Taxi
There are a few rules and regulations every passenger should be aware of when traveling in a taxi:
- Taxis charge a base rate of $2.25 for the first 1/9 mile, plus, $0.20 for each additional 1/9 mile.
- The first adult passenger (over age 12) is $1.00, and any additional adult is $.50.
- All taxi drivers are obligated to accept major credit/debit cards by city mandate.
- Sample taxi fares to the Loop are $45 from O'Hare International Airport and $35 from Midway International Airport. There is a $2 departure/arrival tax charged per trip. Additional rates may apply for shared rides.
- Tipping is considered appropriate when riding in a cab. The standard tip is 15-20%, with an additional tip suggested for drivers who help passengers with luggage.
To request a ride, simply set your pickup location in the mobile app about 5-10 minutes before you'd like to be picked up. Track your driver through the app, and you'll receive a text when the car has arrived. At the end of your trip, your ride will automatically be charged to the the credit card on file and you will be emailed a receipt.
New to Uber? Use the promo code LoopChicago to receive $25 off your first uberX, UberBLACK or UberSUV ride in Chicago.